Moving quantaties of product worldwide..
A critical component of retail is the silent support act of logistics - making sure everything arrives quickly, correctly and without drama. This retail career area oversees movement and storage of consumer products to retail stores and outlets.
Responsibilities include management and facilitation of distribution centres, logistics traffic management, trucking and other transportation operations, and may include import/export shipping and related duties. Jobs include operating a forklift through to managing the supply chain or responsibility for a warehouse.
Tasks may include:
- Determining the destinations of goods and appropriate delivery routes
- Assisting with loading to ensure goods are arranged for ease of delivery and safely secured to avoid damage
- Verifying invoice documentation and confirming completion of orders
- Recording quantities
- Arranging and performing unloading operations
- Receiving incoming goods, checking for damage and discrepancies between goods and invoices
- Packaging goods
- Operating equipment or specialised machinery to move, lift and place goods
- Checking inventories and ordering stock from production departments and wholesalers
- Investigating supply sources and preparing purchase orders
Every part of the retail business depends on the logistics team.