STEP 1|Understand what an Apprenticeship or Traineeship involves, the role of Traineeship and Apprenticeship Services (TAS) & Australian Apprenticeships Centres (AAC)
- Call TAS for an information pack PH: 1800 673 097
- Find an Australian Apprenticeship Centre.
- Ask advice from other apprentices or trainees.
STEP 2 | Contact your Australian Apprenticeships Centres (AAC)
- DISCUSS PREVIOUS STUDY! - you may be able to apply for credit or it may affect your eligibility in obtaining an apprenticeship and from receiving financial incentives and support schemes.
- Ask the following:
What is involved in the process from A-Z?
What are you expected to do?
What is the role of the AAC Consultant?
What is the National Training Contract & Training Plan?
- Discuss finding an employer
STEP 3| Find an employer. Try looking in the paper approaching local businesses or enquire through Job Services Australia.
- Draft a list of discussion points to raise with your employer:
- Pay - Award rates, Over-time, Holiday Pay, Sick Pay, Superannuation, Pay slips
- In store training - after hours
- Employee responsibilities - following the businesses policies and procedures
- Attending the Registered Training Organisation
- Identify your support person in the work place.
- Is the employer registered with TAS? If not ask them to call TAS on 1800 673 097 to register.
STEP 4| Negotiate your National Training Contract and Training Plan.
- Jointly select a nationally accredited RTO with your employer.
- Discuss the National Training Contract, including:
- The probation period.
- Develop the Training Plan with your RTO.
- Keep a copy of the Training Plan for your record.
- Ensure the AAC consultant is present when the final signatures are added to the application for a National Training Contract.
STEP 5 |Once the National Training Contract is approved you are legally obliged to:
- Enrol and commence at an RTO within 3 months of starting the apprenticeship.
- Attend all off and on the job training as specified in your Training Plan.
- Maintain your employee responsibilities as specified & negotiated with the employer.
- Inform your employer, TAS & AAC Consultant of any necessary changes to your National Training Contract.